New go-to spaghetti dish

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Ever since tomato sauce started giving me GERD (reflux), I have been experimenting with non-tomato accompaniments to pasta. I realized spaghetti tastes great with olive oil, slightly browned garlic, lots of S&P, maybe some chili flakes or basil. Since I pretty much always have these ingredients in the pantry, this became my go-to spaghetti dish. Over time, however, I felt like there wasn't quite enough flavor (which I at times tried to resolve with dunking in some soy sauce..), and it was all carbs! The most recent Minimalist video, however, showed me how I could add both flavor, and some green without adding complexity. 


Key changes
1) Anchovies! 
2) Sliver (instead of crushing) the garlic and don't burn the garlic!
3) Don't boil the pasta all the way til al dente, it will keep cooking when tossing with garlic + anchovies
4) Toss with arugula on the counter, it will wilt with the heat of the pasta alone and still retain a little crunch and flavor. 




Key ingredients




Finished product
(cannot see the anchovies or garlic, but they are there I promise, the anchovies break up in the olive oil)



Winner!! Anchovies add a subtle but salty after taste and arugula adds crunch, color and green veggie goodness. And it was still easy, fast and cheap!

0 comments: