Bamboo shoot salad

Sunday, November 06, 2011
"New/weird food" post. 
I often pick up some weird new food to try to cook with but don't always get around to it before the food rots. Luckily these bamboo shoots were canned, so they've been sitting in the pantry until I've felt adventurous. I felt particularly adventurous as the hamster that I've been co-habitating with was finally taken away by management (not our pet hamster, a mysterious hamster that showed up in the vent). The hamster particularly liked hiding in the kitchen hence I've been avoiding it. Now the kitchen is mine again. 

Anyway, here are the whole bamboo shoots. These taste like absolutely nothing by themselves and thus take up whatever flavor you add. 



I found the most Asian-y ingredients I had. Garlic, rice vinegar, chili flakes, sesame oil and my flowering cilantro plant (shakes fist..within 1 week my basil plant died, my orchid dropped all it's flowers and the dumb cilantro has been flowering for a while). 

 Here it is. A nice change from my usual mesclun salad but not for every day. What to do next? There are basically no dishes for bamboo shoots on foodgawker.

0 comments: