Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?

Monday, November 26, 2012
I always avoided the raw whole chickens at the grocery store. It made no sense why a raw chicken was >$10 and a rotisserie chicken was $7. 

Nonetheless, I felt compelled to buy one after seeing this recipe and make the most use of out the bird. Plus Ina is always raving about the benefits of making one's own chicken stock. 

It was surprisingly easy to deconstruct the chicken. I was hindered by a terrible knife and am no anatomy expert but I was able to break apart all the bits in less than 10 mins. There was something organic feeling about being able to cut out your own chicken bits compared to buying the unnatural slightly dried out lumps of pink meat heavily Saran wrapped in the grocery store. The chicken in the dish was incredibly juicy, not sure if it was just the awesome recipe but keeping the skin and bone on is a bonus I reckon. I served it with a handful of basil and over cous cous.  Plus we have leftovers. Yay

The stock was incredibly easy. I haven't tried it yet but I've had my first cold in about 3 years now so maybe I'll make myself chicken noodle soup with it. 

Overall, it was a lot of fun. Obviously fastidious hand washing is necessary but way worth it.  





























0 comments: