Bucatini Carbonara

Monday, October 17, 2011
This was a dish I had at Cibo Matto, a restaurant in my fave hotel in Chicago (the Wit). There was really nothing special about it, just cheesy pasta, but I never forgot about it. 

All you need:
Pancetta - bucatini - pecorino romano - lots of salt and pepper  - egg yolk

I really can't stand runny eggs, but the egg yolk is really critical here. 



No the Giada brand is not important. It happens to be the only bucatini I have ever seen in the store. While you can use spaghetti, and probably linguine, bucatini is both tubular (cylindrical!) and hollow. Thus, maintaining roundness and fatness, without making it impossible to cook. Cooking time was only ~10 minutes til al dente. 

Pecorino Romano. Grate until your hand gets tired. 


Drat! Broke the egg yolk




Really simple, though admittedly heavy dish.

1 comments:

Jeanie said...

omg. this looks SO good. i must try it!