Last Meal: Mom's cold spicy noodles

Monday, October 10, 2011
By semi popular request I am putting up the recipe for my mom's cold spicy noodles aka the dish I would have on death row as my last meal.

Ingredients:
thick round, rice noodles (I happen to stumble on a very good guide)
red chilli flakes
vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
2 cups soy sauce
1 cup white vinegar
shallots optional

Method:
1. Boil noodles until they are al dente. ~20 minutes. 
2. Rinse in cold water until noodles are cool and drain in a colander. Thick noodles don't retain so much water and hence don't dilute out the sauce as much as the thin vermicelli-esque kind.

Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. 
2. Slice or mince garlic and put in a bowl on the counter. The smaller the pieces of garlic, obvi the garlickier your sauce..
3. Add oil to saucepan. Enough to cover the bottom of a pan.
4. Add chilli flakes, about enough to cover the pan in one layer. Let them sizzle until golden brown. 
5. Pour hot oil with chilli flakes into bowl with the raw garlic.
6. Add soy sauce and vinegar to the oily chilli flakes.
7. My mom would now add sliced shallots, along with some good ol' mSG but these are both optional since I never have those on hand. 

[Note: I basically made up the amounts of each ingredient for the blog as in real life, I eyeball everything. The portions are completely modifiable. You can scale up on the soy sauce + vinegar as you please. I very roughly stick to a 2 parts soy sauce to 1 part vinegar ratio but really I just taste and adjust as I go.]

Now just serve the noodles on separate bowls. Spoon sauce over it to taste. I like it salty as humanely possible.






1 comments:

Jeanie said...

omg must make these.. next time i go to hmart!