Joys of whole fish

Thursday, September 29, 2011
This is my second shoutout to Melissa Clark. She's officially become my new chef/food writer guru. After watcing her vid on whole fish, I gleefully gutted and descaled 3 little fishies my uncle had caught in the Chesapeake. Fish organs are surprisingly recognizable ("oo there's the liver!") and I had a brief moment of delirium as I thought about how I missed being in the operating room. 

Since I have 3 little nemos, I'm going to try 3 different recipes starting with the most superior--Chinese! My plan was to first crisp up the skin on some hot oil and deglaze with soy sauce and water. 


Here are the little fish. I don't know what they are cept that they have these stripes and sharp fins.

The aromatics

Braised (?) in soy sauce
Half eaten
 To be honest, I think my fish was undercooked and slimey. Given my extreme aversion to raw fish, I felt a little sick so didn't eat the rest. 

In the end, the flavors were more or less right but definitely cooking the crap out of my next fish. 

1 comments:

Xu Chef said...

bravo on being fearless with the whole fish!