Shepherd Pie..in a bundt pan

Sunday, September 25, 2011
My goal these next few weeks are to make big batches food that will last me for several days, like Rachel Ray's 1 meal 5 days concept. Last week it was lasagna. This week I'm going back to my roots. 
My first memories of Australian (although more accurately British) food was eating shepherd pie in grade school. We could order a little bag of meat pies or shepherd pie for something like $2 and I was particularly fond of the shepherd pie for it's crusted potato topping. Thus, shepherd pie is especially comforting for me (like all foods you remember from childhood) so I love revisiting it as an adult. I added a few twists: parmesan and garlic in the mashed potatoes, a little curry spice in the meat but mostly stuck to the basics. I also highly advise against using ground turkey. It really does not have enough moisture and isn't nearly as flakey as beef. I didn't add any gravy to the meat, it had enough natural juices by itself.
Oh bundt pan is just because I didn't have any other baking equipment that I thought was deep enough. 

Beef and stuff

Topped with mashed potato with fork excoriations (very good for creating little burnt ridges of potato which actually did not work, see next picture)

Finished product!
Top got a little toooooooo crusted under the broiler (got distracted skyping!) but crunchy and good nonetheless...cheeses oozed out

My plate.
Potatoes seep into the meat mixture. 

Shepherd pie=homey goodness

1 comments:

Xu Chef said...

this looks amazing! haha i love the excoriations!