Steamed eggs

Thursday, September 15, 2011
Another wonderful, edible egg dish. How versatile the little buggers are!
I'm not exactly sure what the correct translation of this dish is. Literally, it would be "egg pudding". It is also unclear whether it is a family recipe or a Chinese thing but I've yet to hear of anyone other than my mom making this dish.


All you do is scramble three eggs. 



Then add .. I don't know... 1/4 cup of lukewarm water (I got it straight from the kitchen faucet). 
Then stick it in this little steamer and put it in a pot that is bigger than the bowl with about 1 inch of water on the bottom. 
 Boil for about..15-20 minutes. Don't let the water run dry. 
 The end. You need not add anything else, but I dressed it up with a bit of cilantro, a dash of sesame oil and a hefty amount of soy sauce (sodium addict!)


Digging in


I've yet to make it exactly like madre. (But then again, mom's cooking will always taste better!) But I'm suspecting it is that I scrambled too much after adding water which resulted in too many bubbles. Next time, I will slowly drizzle in water and try not to unsettle the scrambled eggs.


Nonetheless, this is what I call comfort food. It is the perfect dish in all of the following situations
1) there is nothing in your fridge except a carton of eggs
2) you had your wisdom teeth removed
3) you have TMJ (my current self-diagnosed ailment)
4) you are cold
5) it is raining
6) your stomach feels weird


and so on.

1 comments:

Xu Chef said...

mmm I love steamed eggs... I also love the tofu pudding thing, do you eat that?