Blackened Mahi Mahi

Wednesday, February 03, 2010
Mahi Mahi makes me think of this line from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. 

Darald: What's the state fish of Hawaii?
Dwayne the Bartender: The Humuhumunukunukuapua'a. Yeah, bitch! 

Hahahaha love it. 

So this recipe was inspired by a wonderful blackened Mahi-Mahi salad I had in Miami. I am not sure what they used...but I decided to go with a cumin, paprika rub because I know that paprika burns on the grill, so I figured my fish would turn out blackened! 

Because I accidentally poured almost half my little bottle of cumin into the recipe, cumin turned out to be the main flavor in this, but that actually worked out. I cooked a random bed of vegetables in the same pan so everything had a smoky, grilled sort of flavor. Next time I think I'll make a corn salsa for some tangy contrast. Anyway, I loved it....even more than the fish I had in Miami!

According to another food blog that I checked out, the key to a good picture isn't a good camera but lighting! So I tried that and took this pic with my iPhone and I like the way it turned out!

[Side note: Cumin and I go way back. In fact, I loved cumin before I even knew what it was! When I was a little girl in China, they had these street vendors that sold lots of random snacks but my favorite were these skewers of grilled lamb. In retrospect, they were probably entirely unsanitary and I don't think they have these vendors anymore but I lovvvvved them. My four year old self could eat several skewers at once. I found out years later that the lamb was flavored with cumin and I still probably have a Pavlovian response to the smell of cumin. I've never cooked lamb but have used cumin with other meats and it's always delicious.]



0 comments: