Chinese Tea Eggs

Tuesday, February 23, 2010
The incredible edible egg-they are so easy, cheap and versatile!
My mom would often make a batch of tea eggs when we had road trips since they were portable and I actually preferred them cold. This is my first attempt to make them myself and it was incredibly easy. I was horribly hung-over, and kept falling asleep while it was simmering but they turned out fine-great in fact. 
Here's how I made them: 
1) Boil eggs in water until they are cooked. I just let them cook for about 12 minutes. 
2) Pour out most of the water.
3) Smash the eggshells but don't let the eggshell break off. I think the more you can smash up the eggshell, the more flavorful they will be. Kind of like this:


4) Add tea. (I just added loose leaf green tea, I'm not sure where I got it from. My mom said you can use "any, ol tea" is fine but I think most people use black.) Add soy sauce. The eggs were about half submerged in liquid. 


Voila!

I've been eating them every morning..gobble gobble. Makes for a really really fast breakfast which is perfect coz I am not a morning person!


0 comments: