Roasted bone marrow

Sunday, February 07, 2010
The things you can find at grocery stores these days...
Bone marrow!


I think I have a high tolerance for eating weird things because when I was a kid, my parents would feed me bizarre things before I realized what they were. Bone marrow was among the many things that were supposed to make me smarter (others being baby fish-like fetuses in whole fish and crab eggs). From what I remember, bone marrow was this delish, gooey mess and it was sort of a fun challenge to get it out of the bone. So I thought I'd get it and maybe put it in some soup but honestly, I never have time to make soup. After some googling, I found out that you can roast it and eat it on toast. It is also apparently Anthony Bourdain's choice for his last meal. (A LOT of food bloggers worship Anthony Bourdain.)
So here it is...vegetarians, look away!
Here's the thing. Everything was good up til this point. It was freaking disgusting! I should have known from hematology, bone marrow is at least 50% fat! When I poked it out of the bone, the whole thing was just a congealed, fat blob with yellow fat dripping everywhere. I ate 50 baby carrots afterwards to wash out the taste. 
Gross. 
Well, I will not give up on bone marrow and will try it in a broth but I doubt that will happen before June, (USMLE Step 1!!!). 

0 comments: